Gulliver's Travel Odyssey

 

NARRATOR: Lemuel Gulliver was a young Englishman. Gulliver was a surgeon by profession, but his heart lay in travel. He wanted to see the world, and one day, offering his services as a surgeon on ship, he set sail on a ship that was bound for Asia. He was full of excitement, for he had never seen that part of the world. After several weeks at sea, the ship was near the East Indies, when a dreadful storm hit the ship. Rocked about by raging waves, winds, and rain, the ship headed straight for some large rocks. Just before it smashed into the rocks, Gulliver was thrown off the deck. He lost consciousness as he hit the water. He floated on to land and lay unconscious for several hours. The sun was high up in the sky when Gulliver regained consciousness. He blinked up at the sky and wondered where he was.

GULLIVER:  I wonder where I am. Oh, why can't I move?

LITTLE MAN:  Stay where you are, giant. We have tied you up and you cannot move. Did you think you could attack us because of your size?

NARRATOR: Gulliver struggled to get up, but he just could not move. He looked down at himself and found that there were strings running right across: his body, tying him firmly to the ground.

GULLIVER: This must be a dream. Who are you all and why have you tied me up? Let me go at once. I mean no harm.

LITTLE MAN: Oho! That's what you say now. As soon as we unite you, you will attack us. Do you think we don't know? We will take you to our King and he will decide what is to be done with you.

GULLIVER: Let me loose and I will willingly go to your King.

NARRATOR: Suddenly, there was a shower of arrows, all as tiny as needles, landing on Gulliver's body. Soon more than a thousand men dragged Gulliver and put him on an enormous platform they had built. Then, with the help of another thousand men, they dragged the platform to their King, a man as tiny as they were.

GULLIVER: Where am I, Your Majesty?

KING: You are in Lilliput. I can see you are a peaceful man and that you come in peace. Soldiers, release this man at once.

NARRATOR: Released from the ropes, Gulliver stood up and stretched. He looked at all the little people.

KING I am the King of Lilliput. You may stay here as our guest. Where have you come from?

GULLIVER: I was on a voyage to the East. But my ship got caught in a Strome. I think my mates must have all perished in the sea. But the good lord has saved me and brought me to this Island.

KING: You look hungry. Would you like to eat something?

GULLIVER: Yes, Your Majesty, I would.

NARRATOR The King signalled his men. Soon a small army of people arrived with scores of baskets of fruits, meat, and barrels of a delicious drink. When the people of Lilliput saw that Gulliver was a friend, they came out in thousands to see him. They climbed all over his body using ladders.

SCENE II

NARRATOR Soon Gulliver made friends with the Lilliputians. ways helped to make him popular. One day, there was a loud commotion out in the harbour.

GULLIVER: (looking confused) What is the noise outside? Why is everyone shouting?

 A Lilliputian soldier enters.

SOLDIER: The King has summoned you. We are all in deep trouble and only you can help us out.

Gulliver at once Went to meet the King.

GULLIVER: What is it, Your Majesty? How can I help?

KING: We are being attacked by the army of Blefuscu, and we need your help to counter the attack. You are big and strong, and our only hope.

NARRATOR: Gulliver looked out at the sea. There were many battleships and countless seamen making their way towards the island of Lilliputs.

GULLIVER: Do not worry, Your Majesty. I have a plan. Can you please arrange for some strong ropes and IRON bars.

NARRATOR: Gulliver quickly made a huge net with the help of the Lilliputians Soldiers.                                        

 Then he waded into the sea. The enemy, who were also tiny as the Lilliputians, was terrified when they saw mountain like man make his way towards them. They tried their best to back off but Gulliver captured them in his net. The entire army of Blefuscu was made prisoner.

ALL THE LILLIPUTIANS: Three cheers for Gulliver! You have saved us and captured the entire army of Blefuscu.

KING:   You have my gratitude, Gulliver. Now I would like to take our prisoners and make them slaves. We will destroy their kingdom and I will rule both islands.

GULLIVER:  No, Your Majesty. That would not be right. I could never help anyone make slaves of someone else. Everyone has a right to freedom, please release them in love and friendship. You will see that it will benefit both kingdoms.

NARRATOR:  The King's advisors advised him to listen to Gulliver and soon the army of Blefuscu was set free. The two islands signed a pact of friendship and lived in harmony and peace. Many years passed.

GULLIVER: (To Himself) I have lived here for so many years/I have made so many friends and I love the little Lilliputians, They have been good to me. But I cannot forget my family and friends back home. I must go back. Let me speak to the King.

At the King's court.

GULLIVER: (to the King) I would like to return home now, Your Majesty Please give me permission.

KING: (to himself) Gulliver is indeed a good friend to have. But Lilliput cannot afford him anymore. We cannot feed him the quantities of food a man of his size requires. It might be wiser to let him go.

KING: (to Gulliver) My friend, I will be sorry to let you go, but I understand your plight. You may leave with my good wishes.

NARRATOR: Five hundred workmen were given the task of making sails for his boat. Another hundred carpenters made oars and a mast. Gulliver

himself carved the boat out of a great plank, using an enormous stone as an anchor. The boat took a month to be made. Finally, it was ready.

GULLIVER:  Goodbye, my friends! I will never forget you. I have had a wonderful few year and must now get back to my family. Your Majesty, I cannot thank you enough for all your hospitality. May I carry with me a few animals, so I can show them to my family back home?

KING: Yes, you may carry back whatever you choose from the land of Lilliput. God be with you. Goodbye, my friend.

NARRATOR: Thousands of 'Lilliputians came to the shore to bid goodbye to their giant friend. Finally, after several years of living on Lilliput, Gulliver set sail for home. When he finally reached the shores of his homeland, his family wept tears of joy. Gulliver told his family and friends all about his adventure. But they simply refused to believe. It was only when he showed them the tiny animals, did they believe him. It was an adventure that Gulliver never forgot as long as he lived.  He often thought of his tittle friends in the land of Lilliput where he had lived for so many years.

 

 

 

 

Comments